Not vacant anymore
The Faculty of Engineering (www.sdu.dk/en/TEK) at the University of Southern Denmark (SDU) is looking for a dynamic and visionary Head of Department for the Department of Technology and Innovation (ITI) (www.sdu.dk/ITI).
Department of Technology and Innovation
Innovation and technological developments are the core of the many activities within education, research and industrial collaboration undertaken by the Department of Technology and Innovation (ITI). ITI has extensive cooperation with companies and has helped launch many successful start-ups.
The academic fields covered by ITI include design, production, construction, operations, and supply chains. Within those areas, ITI research comprises basic, strategic, and applied research. ITI is responsible for educational programs in design, production, operations and civil engineering and architecture. For more information on ITI research and educational programs please see www.sdu.dk/ITI.
ITI, with 30 professors (full and associate), 20 full time teachers, 40 junior scientists (assistant professors, post docs, PhD students and research assistants) and 8 full time support staff (engineers, technicians, and administrators), is located in both Odense and Sønderborg.
With reference to the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering the Head of Department (HoD) is responsible for leading and developing the Department. The HoD is supported in this by the Heads of Units who report to the HoD and to whom the HoD delegates significant authority. Jointly they make up the Departmental management team. The HoD is furthermore responsible for ensuring:
- Timely development of the research, education, and innovation of the department, taking heed of evolving opportunities and societal needs.
- High quality and impact of the research, education and innovation of the department.
- Establishment and nurturing of relations and collaborations, locally and globally.
- The recruitment and development of top performing staff.
- An attractive and safe working environment.
- Sound management of departmental resources.
The HoD is further expected to play an active and constructive part in developing the Faculty of Engineering as member of its management team.
The candidate is expected to match the following:
- has a PhD
- several years of experience in leading and managing a team
- good knowledge of the academic fields of ITI
- an excellent command of English
The candidate is furthermore expected to have an excellent track record in
- developing an academic field
- developing educational programmes
- bringing new ideas to implemented industrial practice
- developing top performing teams
- establishing and running collaborations with industries and public research
- attracting competitive research funding
The candidate must be at the level of professor or associate professor in a field relevant to ITI. If not previously assessed positively for such a position the candidate will be assessed according to the procedures at SDU/TEK.
For additional information about the position please contact the Dean, Professor Henrik Bindslev, tel.: +45 6550 7302, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Managing Partner Erik Bernskov, Unikom Search, tel.: +45 4084 8665, e-mail: email@example.com.
The recruitment process is in collaboration with Unikom Search, who will hold preliminary interviews. Interviews on SDU campus will take place in week 24 and 25.
Conditions of employment
Conditions of employment are governed by the Danish AC agreement and associated protocols, including the Protocol on Institute Managers and Deans at the Universities. The position is for a term-limit of 6 years with the option of extension at the Decision of the Dean for another 3 years.
A permanent position, for instance as professor or associate professor, is offered as part of the terms of employment as Head of Department. Entry into service 2023 is preferred but negotiable. The candidate will be expected to acquire a sufficient command of Danish to be able to read and conduct meetings in Danish on administrative matters within two years of taking up duty.
Place of employment will be the SDU campus in Odense.
Applicants are invited to submit the following:
- Strategy for future development of ITI
- Statement of motivation
- Curriculum Vitae including accounts of
- leadership responsibilities,
- knowledge of the academic fields of ITI,
- contributions to developing an academic field,
- contributions to developing educational programmes,
- experience with bringing new ideas to implemented industrial practice,
- experience in developing top performing teams,
- establishing and running collaborations with industries and public research.
- Copies of Diplomas (Master & PhD) in English or Danish
- List of publications
Documents submitted in connection with the application should not contain CPR number (civil registration number). In case some do, the CPR number must be crossed out.
All attached files must be in Adobe PDF format. Cover letter and CV can contain max. 5 Mb.
We recommend that you read how to apply before you apply.
Application deadline: June 4th, 2023
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.